Saturday, January 27, 2007

Treasured Clutter

Since I've moved back home for the past month, I've been doing the horrible mission of finding space for my new stuff amid my room full of old stuff. The clothes part was easy--what no longer fits or would never wear again went into the donation bin. Same with books. I simply donated to the library or put them up on Amazon.

But now I'm left with these things I've collected from childhood and either still useful or interesting as memories--my "treasured clutter". Stamp collection. Hair clips. Paintbrushes. All the cards and letters I've ever received. Blank notebooks in every size and paper make. Grades and ID cards from school. Diaries since elementary school (the most embarrassing of the bunch!).

My mom in recent years is on the side of less clutter. When my grandpa died, we had to sort through all of his possessions, took a few boxes, and donated the rest. She said she didn't want to leave behind a mess for us to throw away when she dies.

I'm more on the sentimental side, I suppose. In our summers in Taiwan, my grandpa taught me hours and hours of Chinese calligraphy. His best brushes and calligraphy books were uncontested among the extended family, and I brought home a full suitcase. No one writes with brushes anymore except for hobby or art. So I thought of the matter more as us kids not understanding his interests enough to treasure his clutter.

But as for my stickers and colored pens, perhaps fate will be less kind.

6 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

I throw away everything. I throw away absolutely everything that I don't use at least once a year. I'm even sort of resentful that I have to own Christmas decorations. And I'm really resentful when people give me items that are intended as 'keepsakes'. When I got married my mom told me that I had to get rid of the boxes I'd left in her basement. There were six. I sent five of them to donation and I emptied half of the last box and only kept half of it. I'm the kind of person who carries the important things in my head and in my heart instead of in my living space. However, I was basically taught from the cradle that owning things is a burden that should be avoided. My parents were almost hippies. I've been sitting here wondering about your perspective because I know for a fact that if I told you to mercilessly chuck everything and you took my advice - you'd have parting anxiety and it might be so severe that you'd regret some things you threw away for the rest of your life. So, instead, if you want to throw some stuff away - just notice every time it's in your way and makes things harder for you. As soon as you start hating the object - you can throw it away with a cleansing heart instead of a distressed one.

I'm really happy to see that you opened a blog like this. I'll come visit you again. And you don't have to take any of my advice or even think of it. I'm tired of thinking my ways are the best. Do and think whatever you like, My Dear.

Anonymous said...

I have such trouble throwing away sentimental things. Espeically old drawings, journals crafts... aargH!

When I was a child, I used to "save" things like stickers so they would last longer. I wound up with a lot of things that I would just look at and not use (I couldn't bear to use them all up, lol)

But after moving so much over the last few years, I finally got the courage to get rid of a lot of my things (or use them up) and it is fantastic not to have so much "stuff"! :D

algelic said...

I keep only the essencial. But I guess that if an important member of my family died... I'd keep a lot of their stuff, just for the sentimental value.
But still, things get piled up... and before you know it... there's no room for anything.

algelic said...

PS: can you understand japanese? I could REALLY use someone who could understand it right now. I have a little video about the "Making of" a music video... but it's in japanese. I have no idea what the singer is talking about.

jomiel said...

Yeah, I know I should throw them away :( It's just so easy to stop during my sorting to go "oh that's when we did __", even if it's an old bookmark and I tend to use receipts off my desk instead.

As for Christmas, my parents solved it by not decorating :P

I can try to look at that video, Algelic, although my Japanese is pretty crappy right now D: Send me the link?

Sincerity said...

Hm. Stuff. Sentimentality.
Yup! Been there! My parents grew up saving almost everything because they had it hard when they were young... especially my dad.
Things got worse when they survived the huge earthquake that killed nearly half of the entire population of Gwuatemala. That was two years before I was born. They always tell me their story.
Now I try to help them de-clutter but its hard for them. And I understand what you mean by remembering things from childhood.
But I agree with sapphirefly in that if you feel things need to go then do it when you are ready to let them go.