Thursday, January 25, 2007

Guns, Germs, and Steel

Guns, Germs, and Steel had sat on my bookshelf for a few years before I finally read it this week. I can't imagine the amount of work it took to even add "and __" to a data-loaded sentence or the knowledge he had accumulated in order to assemble the information into a coherent theory, but equally amazing is his ability to write academia into a bestseller.

I thought of his explanation of "Why Europe, Not China?" was pretty good. The usual thought is Confucianism politeness limiting China's response to other country's aggression or development--which is not true, as Chinese considered foreigners as barbarians and does not hesitate to protect themselves from the constant threat of Mongol invasion and state uprisings threatening to bring in a new dynasty. But the most ridiculous theory was about Chinese characters placing limitations on inventiveness and concept creation (as opposed to alphabets, which could be rearranged to form new meanings and be adapted to different country's needs, the author claimed). But Chinese has gone through slight evolution, as seen in comparisons between modern Chinese to Japanese and Korean, which used Chinese exported thousands of years ago. And anyway, Chinese was one of the most inventive countries in history. All the way up until 1400s, that is, when centralized government took to isolationism and departed from technological advances. So in this "Not China" aspect, I agree with Diamond.

The most interesting parts of the book, though, were the last two chapters, the Epilogue and the GGS Today. It's intriguing to think how his theories in GGS would apply to business structure and would continue to modify current government powers.

Critics of his book say it's about environmental determinism, and I do think lumping everything together into a general theory is simplifying matters and may cover true causes, but it's pretty good as a overarching theory to span human history for 13,000 years. Plus it's a popular book, so that means the populace will think about these issues. To spark controversy and bring debate into the public forefront is a good quality that will create better social awareness and open-mindedness.

4 comments:

algelic said...

I know next to nothing about Asian cultures. All I know, is from Anime and Asian Dramas. And movies (the few I've seen).

But I would love to know more about it. I'm hungry for knowledge!

People in my country still have a very stupid idea of Asians. I'd say they probably think everyone there still wears kimonos. They have no idea how advanced and interesting they are.

jomiel said...

Perhaps one day I will make a post about that! :D

Sincerity said...

That sounds like a fascinating book! Two of my closest friends were missionaries in China and they had all kinds of stories and pictures to share.
It really opened my eyes to what's on the other side of the world. I think the Asians are wonderful and the cultural differences are as much fun to enjoy as different foods... well, more so but... you get what I'm trying to say, right?

Unknown said...

try reading sequel to that book; Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed (2005).
you'll enjoy this book if you enjoyed Guns Germs, and Steel