Sunday, February 18, 2007

Movies

Reviews of films watched this month. Bonus picture from Pan's Labyrinth:


Stranger than Fiction
As unlikely was I to fall for Will Ferrell after his last movie, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, the play on literature and narrative in Stranger than Fiction was great. Emma Thompson's acting as a stereotypical psychotic author made the tragedy clearer. And of course, I love any movie about food.

Lonesome Jim
This seems to be modeled after the realistically mundane ideal in modern fiction, and one of the most depressing movies ever until the last 10 minutes of the film. The characters are all full of personal problems. Jim is this sensitive, depressing man without real aims in life; his brother is a failure; his father is unyielding and obtuse to feelings; and his mother is unrelentingly optimistic and breathlessly supportive--and somehow all these characters all fit together into a fulfilling ending (still within realism limits). Casey Affleck and Liv Tyler made that small town portrayal believable.

The Departed
This had a very different feeling from the Chinese original, Internal Affairs (also II and III). It was Americanized for more action, slightly different themes, and to Hollywood standards and tastes. Although there was more than enough drama and tension, I was disappointed at the rush ending. I preferred IA's conclusion, to have room to show character development, but TD was still a great film, and DiCaprio's best film yet.

The Good Shepherd
I had a lot of anticipation for The Good Shepherd, and though the film would improve with more Angelina Jolie involvement, the amount of thinking required past the movie viewing time made up for any disappointment in her role. There was so much uncertainty, intrigue, and history for discussion and further thought.

Pan's Labyrinth
This had been called the fairytale for adults, and the adult impact carried all the way through to the very end. It was mystical and alluring, and yet the story brought forth themes of death and sacrifice and life, much in the vein of magic realism. And the girl Ivana Baquero who played Ofelia--showing vulnerability and courage, the paradoxical nature of the innocent heroine, the plot's culmination of tragedy and bravery--so clearly at only 12!

2 comments:

Sincerity said...

I loved Stranger Than Fiction. I thought the plot was unique and smart. I listed this movie in recommendations a few posts back in my blog too.

Pan's Labrynth was amazing. I agree the young actress is very talented. But it was a bonus for me to go with my whole family. We all speak Spanish and it was a real treat to hear and see such a well-told story in my parents' native tongue.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I haven't had time to go to the movies lately. *cries* even though I'm a huge movie fan. The only thing that makes me feel better is that I get to watch a few Korean movies once in a while (they're refreshing... not at all the Hollywood artificial kind).

So I haven't watched any of those movies. But I reaaaaaaly want to watch Pan's Labyrinth in the future.