Monday, February 26, 2007

More School

My brother sent me this fine piece of news article today:

"It was surprising that past commercial video game play was such a strong predictor of advanced surgical skills," said Iowa State University psychology professor Douglas Gentile, one of the study's authors.

It supports previous research that video games can improve "fine motor skills, eye-hand coordination, visual attention, depth perception and computer competency," the study said.

I guess all those hours of hand dexterity that comes by making platform jumps and shooting zombies while running to cover is actually worthwhile ;D The disclaimer at the end of the article that says 9+ hours of gaming is detrimental to getting in medical school, though, was pretty sad--I mean really, does the media need to dumb down research information to that level? It's like the microwave warnings about not drying cats in them.

Anyway, I've been starting to get serious on veterinary school and GRE preparation. GRE has so much similar content to SAT that I'm hoping the two tests also have correlative test scores.

I wrote about my first Saturday at the shelter clinic, but I haven't told my real dreams and fears about veterinary school. A few weeks ago I woke up in the pale fish belly light of early morning, shaken. I had dreamt that I euthanized all my cats, cuddling them and apologizing all the while. Man, that was scary. My mother, though, thought it was outrageously funny, and for a couple of days told the cats they'd better watch out before I kill them.

Well, of course, laughter chases fears away, but last week I then dreamt that I killed my dog through food neglect. My brother, currently in medical school, diagnosed subconscious feelings of inadequacy. Thanks, Dr. Feel Better. But it's true that I've never felt the same way about any other occupation--and I think this means that this is really want I'd like to do. So although it's sad that I will graduate later than my younger brother, at least I tried to apply to veterinary school ;D


The five targets for elimination in question:

Jomjom


Coco


Dudu


Mimi


Nicky

1 comment:

Sincerity said...

AWE! Your cats and Nicky are so cute!

I totally understand how those dreams could be scary. I would really grieve over my pets dying.

If you really think veterinary school is what you would enjoy doing then go for it! Its far better to do something you like than do something that makes you depressed or worried all the time.